Sunday 8 September 2013

Tattoo talk; my memorial tattoo


Hello lovelies!!

I want this post to be a happy memorial type post. My Grandad died three years ago yesterday. Obviously I still miss him terribly, as anyone who has lost someone they loved will know. And when I think about that, it hurts. 

I wanted to write this post yesterday but I had been to a super awesome roller derby event Friday night and was still buzzing from it. I felt like to write this in my cheerful mood was inappropriate. But I don't want this to be all doom and gloom.

When I look at the tattoo I got back in July I immediately have happy memories from my childhood. And that's what I think will help dilute the sadness, the happy memories that you have of someone.

By the lovely Karen at Curiosities Tattoo Studio.

My Grandad was fond of getting us grandkids going, and to make sure he got his favourite French Fancy he would tell me another flavour was his favourite. When I thought I was being clever nabbing the one he wanted, he would let on that he used reverse psychology to get the one he really wanted. My Grandad was a massive West Ham fan and around this time he had a West Ham cup complete with emblem, lyrics and bubbles. 

There are loads more memories and it took a while to work out what I wanted to incorporate into my tattoo. When you have so many ideas it can be difficult to narrow them down so your tattoo doesn't end up looking too busy. For me this is the perfect starting point down memory lane for me. He loved being silly with us. I remember I would sit at the table drawing and he would tell me he knew how to draw an elephant. He would then proceed to draw a dot and tell me that's an elephant very, very, very far away. I was very lucky to have him in my life for 25 years.

Cherish your loved ones, forget the bad and remember the good.

Kisses